June 24, 2011

Farewell from Mr. Hanlon

Farewell from Mr. Hanlon:

Dear parents and families that I have grown to love over the last ten years. Although it seems inadequate, I wanted to say thank-you from my heart to yours. Every day I faced a gaggle of your preteens that were full of God’s creative force…some a bit too full, and asked myself the question of “what should Christian education look like” in the midst of teaching, modelling, planning, field tripping, psychologically assessing , counselling, and listening. In reality I think I was learning more than your children were! Although I approached my role with a strong measure of light-heartedness, I took my job…well…not really a job but so much more… very seriously, and drank deeply from the well of Godly purpose as a middle school teacher. I often wondered if I had the moxie to be God’s witness to 25 odd youngsters raised on an explosive mix of Ipods, Iwants and Iam’s.

If I could, I would sit down with each and every one of you over coffee or a pint, and express my gratitude for being God’s witness to your son or daughter’s unfolding story. Thank-you for allowing me 7 hours every weekday for 10 months over ten years to shape these small vessels of God’s creation. It was a responsibility that I took very seriously and will not forget. You and your children that I have journeyed with have left a beautiful place in my soul. You have been overwhelmingly gracious and supportive as I have run this race. I pray that you will have the courage to consistently wade into your child’s life and continue the beautiful story that God has begun in their young hearts.

Mr. Hanlon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

D: good bye mr. Hanlon,


From oneof your annoying and loud student, jack


Ps: thanks for teaching me so much! Had a great year with you